To advance the research and innovation activities in the university, the Uttarakhand Open University has established its Directorate of Research and Innovations. The research program is envisioned toprovide training to the young generation of researches/learners to meetthe requirementsof the academic disciplines, needs of thestate,fulfill the national aspirations and ensure the international commitments in the area of researches.
To further the cause of research in the area of Open and Distance Learning, the University has also established a cell for ODL research under the Directorate of Research & Innovations(12th Academic Council meeting, Item no.12.12) in the year 2017.
The objectives of the cell are-
- to survey and assess the impact of Uttarakhand Open University on the status of higher education,
- to assess the student support services of university and to suggest measures for efficient functioning,
- to assess and develop the mechanisms for ODL programs offered by the university to ensure quality,
- to identify potential areas for newer programs which are more amenable to ODL,
- to conduct surveys to identify shadow regions where reach of the university is essential,
- to survey and assess the status of various job-oriented programs offered by Uttarakhand Open University,
- to organize Open and Distance Learning related seminars and workshops, and
- to offer consultancy on ODL related activities.
The university is offering Ph.D. programs in various disciplines. In the year 2011, as per UGC(Minimum Standards and Procedure for Awards of M.Phil. /Ph.D. Degree) Regulation, 2009the University adopted the Regulation and Uttarakhand Open University Ph.D. Ordinance 2011was approved by the Academic Council in its 2nd meeting. (Item no.2.19).
- Thus,in the year 2012 Ph.D. program was initiated in14 disciplines and 16 students were enrolled in various subjects-areas.
- The second Ph.D. entrance examination was announced in the year 2013. In this year Ph.D program was offered in 15 disciplines in which 10 students were enrolled.
- In the year 2016 Ph.D. Ordinance was further revised as per the University Grants Commission (Minimum Standards and Procedure for Award of M.Phill./Ph.D. Degrees) Regulations,2016and the University adopted the new Regulation. Later, 2nd and 3rd amendments were also incorporated in the Ordinances after the approval of the Academic Council. Thus, at present Ph.D. program is being conducted as per the latest guidelines of UGC to maintain academic standards in M.Phill / Ph.D. program.
- Under the framework of new Ordinance, Ph.D. Program was offered in 20 disciplines in the year 2019. A total of 26students successfully cleared the examination in various subjects,i.e.,History, Sociology, Political Science, Physics, Chemistry, Management, Commerce, Education, English, Sanskrit, Hindi, Tourism Management, Computer Science & Applications, Yoga, Psychology andJyotish.
- The course work for the 3rd batch of enrolled students is in progress.
Ph.D. degrees awarded
18 learners have been awarded the degree of Ph.D. in Sociology, Hindi, Journalism, Teacher Education, History and Management Studies.
The following University faculties have contributed in the area of ODL Research& Innovationsand published research papers –
- Professor R. C. Mishra, Dr. Gagan Singh andDr. Bhanu Joshi, School of Management Studies and Commerce.
- Dr. Manjari Agrawal, School of Management Studies and Commerce.
- Dr. DeepakPaliwal, School of Social Sciences.